Choosing a mobile phone
There are many phones available today – from basic cell phones to full-featured smartphones. And for first-time mobile consumers, it's often difficult to know what features you'll utilize most. Ask friends or family members for advice, you're likely to get answers to vary. (In other words, not very helpful.)
While it takes time to evaluate devices and compare features, exploring your choices is the best way to find the smartphone best-suited for you. A wide array of mobile devices are compatible with the Verizon Wireless network. These phones feature options suitable anyone's unique preferences.
Some users have particular wants and needs when it comes to their smartphones, particularly if they're experienced users who have owned sophisticated devices in the past. Fortunately, there are also numerous phone choices that offer a variety of perks for the most tech-savvy mobile consumers.
Challenges of finding your phone
There are many challenges when choosing a new phone. One of the most challenging aspects is exploring all of the different phones and offers available. Knowing exactly what you need and want in a phone, carrier, and plan is essential in the research phase. Another challenging aspect of choosing a mobile device is the price. While today's smartphones and cell phones come in enough variety to provide multiple choices for consumers at either end of the price spectrum, your budget could narrow the options for you from the start.
You can usually find a basic phone for around $50 - $100 retail. Or, instead of paying full retail, you can opt to sign up for a wireless contract, a two-year contract for wireless service with a particular carrier that offers a discount on your chosen device in exchange for your commitment. You can sometimes even get certain devices for free using the contract option. If you are looking at a smartphone, you can expect to spend anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to $800 or even $1,000 retail price. Or you can choose to pay around $33 a month with a two-year plan and get your chosen smartphone at a reduced cost.
Considerations in buying a smartphone
Most of the research can be done on the Internet. Researching expert recommendations and user reviews is wise if you have time to do so, as consumer reviews can reveal specific shortcomings with a particular device's design that would hinder your daily habits. Additionally, you may want to visit your carrier’s retail location so you can see, touch, and use the devices you're considering. You might discover that one of your preferred devices is too heavy or doesn't fit in the pocket that you typically carry your smartphone in, or you might find that you're not fond of the feel of a device's keyboard.
There are numerous other factors to think about when looking for a new smartphone or mobile device, such as:
- Is the phone for personal use, business use, or both? Think about this as you are exploring smartphone choices.
- Are you looking for a basic phone or a smartphone?
- Determine your budget before beginning your search. This will cut down your research time immensely, narrowing your choices to only the devices within your budget. However, if you're already aware of a device that you'd purchase if not for budget constraints, talk with a representative from your preferred Verizon premium wireless retailer to find out about deals and special offers that might allow you to purchase the device you want without going over-budget.
- Choosing a carrier and plan is just as important as finding the right phone. Does your plan offer call, text, and/or data? Does the carrier offer 3G, 4G or 4G LTE?
- What features are most important to you? Are you looking for a great quality camera, a large display, long battery life, does the phone support 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE?
- Do you care about the size, color, or overall appearance of your prospective phone?
Choose the right smartphone
Choosing the right mobile device really depends upon what features you need. Research is the number one thing to do when choosing a phone. Read about smartphones or other devices you're considering online, evaluating both expert reviews and consumer-written reviews, and check out professional ratings and recommendations. You can find out most of what you need to know about the phones, cell phone carriers, and plans available. Narrow down your choices based upon what will fit best with your lifestyle. For more information on selecting the right smartphone, check out our comprehensive Smartphone Buying GuideRead More →